Stamp Out "Oughtism"
Oughtism is a disease of the oughtanomic nervous system. The unfortunate victims oughtomatically do what others tell them they ought to do. If left untreated, Oughtism can eventually result in a total loss of the ability to think.
Are you Oughtistic?
Take this simple test.
___ Do you feel obligated to give blood even when you're down to your last pint?
___ Do you put on clean underwear each day just in case you get hit by a car and have to go to the hospital?
___ Are you reading this only because somebody said you ought to?
If you answered yes" to any of these questions you could be Oughtistic. But don't feel bad. You aren't alone. Forty million Americans suffer from this silent crippler. And most of them don't even notice.Yes, Oughtism can be cured. But first, you must know its warning signals:
- Any involuntary nodding of the head up and down - especially when someone asks for volunteers.
- Sharp pangs of guilt after digesting a single chocolate-chip cookie
- An enlargement of the onus
- An empty feeling between the ears
- Constriction of the intestines; that duty-bound feeling
So join us, won't you? Let's stop this epidemic before we all become oughtamatons.
©1986 Swami Beyondananda (Steve Bhaerman)
Used with permission of Steve Bhaerman, 400 W. Third Street, Suite D-144, Santa Rosa, CA 95401, www.wakeuplaughing.com.