Experiencing a Full Breath
While it is not possible or necessary to fully expand the lungs with every breath, to heighten awareness it is vital that you experience how a really complete breath feels. Used periodically, this exercise utilizes the lungs to capacity and extracts great amounts of life force" from the air.
Try this exercise sitting, standing, and lying down. Through the nose:
- Exhale deeply, contracting the belly.
- Inhale slowly as you expand the abdomen.
- Continue inhaling as you expand the chest.
- Continue inhaling as you feel your collarbones lift.
- Pause briefly. Don't hold.
- Exhale in reverse pattern, slowly. Release the shoulders, relax the chest, contract the belly.
This exercise requires gentle practice to make inhalation and exhalation smooth and balanced. First, practice breathing so the inhalation and exhalation are of equal duration. Next, allow the exhalation to become a little longer. Breathe in this manner as long as it's comfortable.